Sunday, February 1, 2015

Early Land Records, Virginia Colony

Digging through the Virginia Library on-line http://www.lva.virginia.gov/public/using_collections.asp#_guides
 I found some land records:

19 August 1637 (image 001_0462) Patent land grant of 250 acres to Robert Rockwell for transporting his wife, children and servant.  Robert Rockwell, Sarah Rockwell, Mary Rockwell, Thomasin Rockwell and Mary Mayor.

This indicates to me that Robert Senior had previously arrived as the grant did not state "for the transportation into this colony of himself and..."  Additionally, in spite of the grant stating, "his wife, children and servant", I think that the "Thomasin" just might be Robert's mother.

20 July 1639 (image 01_0682) Patent land grant of 250 acres to Robert Rockwell for transporting Thomas Rockwell, Mary Roo and three others that I cannot read.

To me this Thomas, who it seems was very young at the time. would not have traveled out of the colony and returned two years later.  I believe Thomas was left behind when the rest of the family traveled in 1637.  This is why I think the 1637 Thomasin is the mother, not the son.

16 October 1645 (image 02_0069 and image 02_0070)  Land survey of 250 acres due of patent granted 16 November 1638.

I have yet to find the patent that this survey is for.  Nor can I find the land survey for the 1637 or the 1639 grants.  Historically the grants were often sold before the land was claimed and those transactions are indexed under the name that is the owner of the grant, not necessarily the same person to who the grant was issued.






I can email these images to anyone who might want them, I realize it's a bit hard to read here.  Send me your email via a PM on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment