Saturday, March 9, 2013

A bit of family history


The English colony of Virginia, as initially established in the early 1600s, extended north into what is presently the state of Maine, and south to the Carolinas.  Early recorded history is fragmented and in many instances simply does not exist.  Trying to piece together the family tree I have encountered one road block after another.  It has not been easy but it has been fun.  In trying to break through the many road blocks I have uncovered a lot of interesting stuff.
In researching the historical records, early history books and the archives of the LDS Church I have found our surname spelled in many ways.  Rockhold, Rockhould, Rockwell and Rockholt show up.  I find other families genealogy listings under the name Rockwell, while the original document  cited as proof,  so clearly is either  Rockhold or Rockholt.
At first the entire eastern New England seaboard was divided into two economic zones as corporate colonies funded by private investors in search of riches in gold and silver.  The northern half to the Plymouth Company, and the southern half to the London Company.  The lack of riches was the downfall of the companies and the earliest colonial settlements.  England revoked the charters and established the Royal Colonies of 1624.
In the early days of the colonies, life was rough.  Famine, disease and Indian uprisings took a heavy toll and only the hardy souls survived.  Two of our early ancestors were among the early settlers in the new world colony of Virginia.  Robert Rockhould in 1627 and John Boatwright about 1650.
I have not been able to pin down Robert’s origin with any degree of certainty, but it can be reasonably assumed he was “English”, probably from Fitzhead, Somerset County, England.  He was granted land upon immigration to New Norfork, Virginia in 1637 along with his wife Sarah and sons Robert Jr. and Thomas.  Best guess is he left England for the Netherlands, where he married Sarah Greniffe, eventually immigrating to Virginia.
John Boatwright Jr. was born in Fressingfield, Suffolk County, England.  He came to New Kent, Virginia Colony as an indentured servant, quickly serving out his indenture and becoming a successful land owner.  The plantation home of James Boatwright (1745-1815) was still standing, though in bad repair, in the late 1960s.
The Rockholts and Boatwrights followed similar routes in the migration, finally joining together in the marriage of Walter William Rockholt and Martha Eugenia Boatwright, my grandparents,  in Arkansas in 1908.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for answering my question about Maine and for the information on Robert.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did find one historical record of a Rockhould in England. In the parish records, St Botolph, London... Thomas Rockhould married Parnell Troff (or Scott) on April 12, 1604. There are some indications that the Rockwell family of Fitzhead, Somerset, England were recorded as Rockhold in a few records.

    I am trying to get some connection between one Richard Rockwell of Fitzhead in the late 1500s and our Robert Rockhould. No luck so far. I did find some records that at least some of the girls that were married into the family actually shipped out of England as "convicts", which might not have amounted to much considering the times.

    I don't check my blog comments very often, I am on facebook most ev ery day, you can message me there or email me, but I'll have to find you in my "junk/spam" file since I have my email to only receive incoming mail if the address is in my address book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michael, just letting you know I sent you an email.

      Delete