Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Rockholt Family History


  
“ROKHOLT”  a variant of the Germanic “Rockolt”, a variant of “Rocholt”, or “Rocholl”; thought to be from variants of  a Germanic personal name . “Hrokwald”, composed of the elements hrok ‘prudance’, ‘care’ + wald ‘Crule’,  and by others to be of Slavic origin.


From all I have been able to determine, our early ancestors immigrated to America from the Netherlands.  Indications are that the earliest was Robert Rockhould, who probably left England for Holland in the turmoil of the religious uprisings of the early 1600s.  Some time passed while he was in Holland, he married and had children before departing for the English colony of Virginia in 1637.  Tracing our ancestry into England, during the time of Robert, is proving very difficult.  While there is great evidence of German movement into England prior to the 1600’s, there is little recorded history from which information can be gathered.   Some of the wives of the earliest found American Rockholts were of Welch and Scottish birth, leading me to believe that the early Rockholts, while maybe of German extraction, were English.

Virginia had its’ own problems with religious practices and that seems to be the reason Robert and his family left to join other English in the new colony of Maryland where religious freedom was to be available.  History tells us otherwise but the colonist prevailed in their revolt  against British rule, eventually ceding the government back over to Colonial rule with assurances of religious freedom.  But, in time the Colonial rule just proved too much and the Revolutionary War was on.
Our family members have been present in every major war/uprising .  Robert was an armourer by trade, active in the Savern and Patuxent  uprising.  He was, from what I  can find, a prosperous individual.  His name is found as being indebted to  on several wills.   At the same time it appears that he did not get involved in politics, his name is not found on any documents relating to government.

The Virginia  Colony seems to be the earliest settling of the Rockholt/Rockhold families in the Americas.   From there they moved into Maryland and down into Tennessee, into the Carolinas, and New York .  They seemed to spread out, generally as the Unitied States expanded, so did the family.  Farmers, craftsmen, school teachers, railroad men, preachers, boat builders, merchants, solders, sailers and statesman.  They seem to have ventured into about every aspect of the nation, both in occupation and in location, There is today a large number of Rockholts in Tennessee, they are also concentrated in Texas, Arkansas, Alabama and California.


Variants of the name, be they the result of intentional or unintentional change, have been found while researching the family genealogy.  While today our line spells the family name “ROCKHOLT”, it appears also as ROCKHOLD.  The use of Rockhould seems to have been only used for two generations  The family ROCKWELL seems to have originated from some source other than Robert Rockhould, even though you will find any number of Rockwell family trees that show Robert.  The Rockwell Foundation (Norman Rockwell) has done a lot of DNA research and pretty much ruled out Robert from their line.  There is one ROCKHOLD family line originating in Maine in the late 1600s which does not appear to associate with our Robert.


9 comments:

  1. Hi Michael, I have been researching my Rockhold lineage for a little while now, and on a whim I decided to include Rockholt in the search, and I'm glad I did! This is some great information you've got here. I haven't had any luck tracing farther back than Robert Rockhould (seems like nobody has), but I still am intrigued by the origin of his name. My search for Rockhoulds in England at that time or earlier hasn't yielded anything for me, and many online sources allege that Robert was born in the Netherlands, which I doubt because neither Robert nor Rockhould are Dutch names (to my knowledge). In your opinion, what is the possibility that the line originated as Rockholt, then was Anglicized to Rokhould upon their immigration to England and then to the Netherlands? That could explain the dearth of information about Rockhoulds in England. I'm willing to entertain some theories at this point!

    I do have a question though, if you don't mind answering. I'm familiar with Robert Rockhould's history (as much as we know of it) and I can trace my line back to him, but I'm intrigued by the unrelated Rockhold line from Maine that you mentioned. Do you have any more information about them?

    Thank you,
    Jenn Rockhold

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not putting you off, simply missed your comment until now.

      In tracing leads found on Ancestry.com I have found a few (five or six off the top of my head) Rockhold families in Maine in the late 1700s. I think I have the copies of the source documents somewhere in my "not relative" file but it will be very difficult to find. As I go back through my data as I expand the tree outward I'm sure I will run across them again.

      Email me at mrockh@earthlink.net for some reason I don't think I'm getting notices on my blog comments. Since I don't have you in my address book your email will go to my "suspected spam" file so put the subject as "RE ROCKHOLT/ROCKHOLD" or something similiar so it will catch my eye.

      Oh, I found a "Rockhould" in England in some church records. But upon futher research I found much more on the same family but all as "Rockwell". Simply gave me a glimmer of hope for a couple days, then the let down came.

      I am beginning to look into travel records for the mid 1600s, I've found a few "names" that are lateral, but nothing yet on Rockhould/Rockhold/Rockholt/Rockwell or Greniffe/Greenif.

      I think I'm to the point that I am going to simply process one name at a time. Trying to build the entire tree is just too consuming.

      Delete
    2. From "Select Marriages, England, 1538-1973:

      Thomas Rockhould married Parnell Trott 12 April 1604, St Botolph Aldgaate, London.

      From the little bits and pieces I've found I place our Robert Rockhould as being born around 1605/07 probably in England. His son was named Thomas, and since names seem to follow generations in the family I am inclined to believe this Thomas (married in 1604) could well be Roberts father or maybe an uncle. I am looking for some kind of confirmation.

      Delete
  2. If you have a George Washington Rockholt in your tree, we are related.
    http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/36824263/family?fpid=18994647704

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't recall a George Washington Rockholt in my direct line. I do however think I have seen the name in some of the allied family trees, of which there are quite a few. I have gathered quite a few distant relatives on a facebook group page, we kinda help each other out in our searching. You might join up and see if any of the members have any insight. On Facebook: Rockholt Family Search

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. Hi Michael,

    What would be your take on African American's with the Rockhold surname? My 5th Great Grandfather, Daniel Rockhold (Rockwell), is first found in an 1820's Ohio Census with the Rockwell surname. By the 1860's, with the exception of one son, Daniel and the rest of his children are going by Rockhold. As to the reason why, we don't know. But a story passed down to us says that Rockhold was their original name. Per the census however, it appears that it was changed to Rockwell, and for some reason by the 1860's, they may have reverted back to their old name.

    Also, I should mention that Daniel was mulatto and possibly Native American and born in Tennessee. However, I have reason to believe that his family was originally from Virginia. Do you know of any Rockholds that were planters and/or slave owning? Our family has always been fascinated with how we got our names, as one side goes by Rockwell (the line in which I descend) and the others by Rockhold.

    Also interesting, it was said that many of our older Rockhold/Rockwell ancestors were Blackfoot. Now the Blackfoot Nation was nowhere near Viginia/Tennessee or the Carolina's, but from further research I discovered that "Blackfoot" may have been a nickname for the Saponi's who were in Virginia, which again points to the families place of origin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From all I can learn, the line began in Virginia (colony) in the early 1600's, the original family moved to Maryland in 1637. The period from the beginning to the mid 1800's is very sketchy, or maybe better said almost not there. The Rockholt(d/uld) vs Rockwell issue is one highly contested. Some say it's all one family, but good evidence shows that there are two families, both arriving about the same time, Rockwell to the northern colony in Maine, Rockhould to Virginia. I have found my family listed on census records as Rockholt, Rockwell, Rockhold, and Rockuld; I don't think the folks were very well educated and maybe often times they themselves did not how to spell their name and relied upon whoever was taking the census.Yes, we have turned some evidence of the Rockholt/Rockhold family as slave holders in and around southern Virginia and what is now North Carolina. And try as I might I have not been able to tie and of the African American (listed as "B" on the census, or the Indian (I) or Mulatto (M), to any of my family line. The few that I have had the pleasure of meeting seemed to be having the same "brick walls" that I have encountered. As to the Indian connection....family "history" (as nonspecific as it is) has the family Rockholt as being of both Choctaw and Cherokee ancestry. Again, it's one of those things that I. and several of my extended family, have not been able to find one bit of hard evidence to support the story.

      I also maintain a Facebook page: Rockholt Family Search you can request to be added, never know what might turn up.

      If you did not notice, the blog contains all kind of assorted family search data, simply browse through the postings. If you are on ancestry.com you can look up my tree, rockholt(mrockh) or I can give you guest access to it.

      Delete
    2. Michael, I've tried to look up your tree using rockholt(mrockh)
      and Michael Rockholt. Can you send me a link if you don't mind me taking a look at your tree. tfrock2020@aol.com Thanks and regards, Thomas Rockholt

      Delete